About the project
The Whitty Clinical School project adaptively reused the original Queensland State Listed Robin Dods designed hospital on the Mater Campus, Woolloongabba.
The design for the project included the insertion of a new glazed atrium which promoted alternative teaching and learning spaces and supported The University of Queensland’s vision of including peer to peer learning opportunities in its facilities. The project was co-sponsored by Mater Health Services and The University of Queensland.
- Video conference supported learning spaces to promote distance and international education;
- Collaborative seminar rooms / Alternative Teaching / Learning Atrium / Learning Commons;
- Teaching High and Low Fidelity Simulation Suites with Control Rooms;
- Student Area / Peer to Peer Learning with Problem Based Learning spaces;
- Accommodation for UQ academics as well as Mater staff;
- Sustainability initiatives include designing the project to achieve a 5 Star Green Star equivalency.
Silver Heritage Award for Conservation — National Trust Queensland Heritage Award
AIA Awards — Queensland Architecture Awards - Heritage