About the project
The adaptive reuse of the former Bank of NSW, South Brisbane built in 1921 was undertaken for the staff and volunteers of the Queensland Children’s Hospital Foundation established for the Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital. The work included the conservation and repair works, adaptive re-use and a small extension housing a new lift to the rear of the building.
The design proposal enabled a simple office fit out with relatively little impact on the heritage significance of the former bank building. The new extension has been designed as a sympathetic addition, clearly new but sitting comfortably beside the existing building.
The design proposal for the fit out included new services upgrade and disability access together with conservation and repair works. The office use was a good fit with the existing heritage building and required minimal changes. To manage project costs, the changes to the building have been kept to a minimum - consistent with good conservation practice of “doing as little as possible, as much as necessary”. Heritage consultancy services included heritage advice, the completion of a heritage impact report and a Colour Study.
National Trust Heritage Council Award — The Governor’s Heritage Award, for local heritage projects: recognising achievement in local heritage awards