A 125 year anniversary is reason to celebrate and also an opportunity to review the rich history of Conrad Gargett. We did just that in September this year. Overlooking the stormy Brisbane skyline from GoMA’s upper terrace with the aid of our friends and colleagues.
The night was celebrated with Malcolm Middleton, State Government Architect recounting some of the significant accomplishments of Conrad Gargett over the years. He also looked at the more recent past and the energy and people in the practice that provide promise for the future.
Just in this last 12 months we have seen some significant milestones:
- Opening of the St John Paul II Building at the Australian Catholic University, Banyo
- Appointed for the design of the new Griffith University Sports Facility on the Gold Coast
- Completion of the redevelopment of the heritage listed St John’s Church precinct in Paddington, Sydney
- Completion of the Conservation Management Plan for one of the world’s most significant example of post-modern architecture, the Australian Parliament House in Canberra
- Construction commencing on the mixed use Coorparoo Square development
- Opening of the GE Building which is seen as a major catalyst for the Springfield CBD
- Construction commencing on the first of the state of the art F35 Strike Fighter facilities at RAAF Williamtown
- The design of several new multi-rise residential and mixed use developments including a new 850 apartment development at Melrose Park in Sydney
- Completion of the design phase of Grace on Coronation where we have been working in partnership with Zaha Hadid’s studio
- Completion of the concept design phase for the conservation of Africa Hall in Addis Addaba
- Completion of workplace projects for Robert Bird Group, Brisbane Airport Corporation and Collections House.
Our practice has also been rewarded with numerous State and International awards for Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital combined with awards for heritage, landscape architecture and interior design. These accolades are a reflection of the dedication to excellence the team at Conrad Gargett hold but also on our fellow design professionals and centrally, our clients.
Whilst the building industry has not been at its most buoyant in recent years it is gratifying that we have secured projects in all sectors from education to health and in the residential, commercial, workplace, urban design and landscape architecture sectors. This is a good indication for another productive year in 2016.
This is a demanding industry and, as always, we look forward to some respite in the intensity over the Christmas break.
Our best wishes for the festive season and look forward to seeing you all in the New Year.
On behalf of the Directors