This year, Conrad Gargett Managing Director Bruce Wolfe is partaking in the 2015 Vinnies CEO Sleepout.
In the lead up to this event, we asked him why he has chosen to support such a worthy cause.
“I had a couple of years doing the early morning coffee brigade for the homeless in the early 1980’s. As I was getting up in cold at 5am, I was aware that many had been spending the whole night in that temperature without any real weather protection. It was a real awakening to hardships that others faced and a stimulus to help where I could.
It was particularly disturbing to see the number of younger people “sleeping out”. For some there were obvious health issues that aggravated very quickly, others just social dislocation. It is good to see organizations like St Vinnies helping where they can. I think it is situation we can all do something about.
Whilst not looking forward to a night in the cold, I am very happy that the funds raised provide genuine help for those who currently find themselves homeless”.
Here are some facts about why this issue is so important:
- More than 105,000 Australians are homeless — TWICE the capacity of Suncorp Stadium, the venue for this year’s Vinnies CEO Sleepout in Queensland
- Queensland has the THIRD highest homeless population in Australia
- 19,838 Queenslanders are homeless
- 27% are children under 18 years old
- 57% are under the age of 35
- One in eight Queenslanders live below the poverty line.
The Brisbane CEO Sleepout will be held Thursday 18 June, to support Bruce and this worthy cause visit, https://www.ceosleepout.org.au/ceos/qld-ceos/bruce-wolfe-conrad-gargett/