Hotel Metropole 1907
The Hotel Metropole, which was replaced in 1934, featured hipped and gable roofs which were embellished with open-bed pediments with arched and fret-cut infills. The hotel that inevitably replaced the Hotel Metropole was designed by Atkinson & Conrad.
Brisbane Fire Brigade Headquarters 1907
Illustrated is a coloured postcard of the Brisbane Fire Brigade Headquarters from 1911. Not more than a decade after Atkinson’s Fire Brigade Station was complete this new Head Station for the Brisbane Fire Brigade was to house Motor Vehicles, replacing Horse-Drawn fire engines. The new building was also a response to the introduction of automated alarms which had replaced a manned lookout.
Ithaca Town Council Chambers 1910
Ithaca, formerly a suburb of Brisbane, is now a local neighbourhood within Red Hill. Atkinson & McLay submitted designs to council with estimated costs for the chambers calculated at £1,300, with an alternative design for £1,100. Despite objections to the “rash” expenditure the council chambers were erected and completion was celebrated in 1910 with a dinner.
McWhirters Department Store 1912
In June 1910 Atkinson & McLay were commissioned to deliver the McWhirter’s latest and fifth stage of development in the proprietor’s plans for premises that would occupy the entire block frontage of Wickham St and Warner St. Still standing today the five storey building was built of steel, concrete and brick in a Federation Romanesque style.
Queenslanders as we see ’em 1915
Atkinson illustrated in a Caricature which was published in ‘Queenslanders as we see ’em’.