The Brisbane Fire Brigade Station 1890
Now demolished, the Brisbane Fire station was Italianate in style with a rusticated ground floor. Henry W. Atkinson was the chosen entrant from a competition of 17 proposals.
The Queensport Hotel 1890
Charles McLay’s good reputation and personal popularity led to several commissions during a period of depression in the economy. This included the pictured hotel for Martin Kavanagh. The two storey hotel, which still stands today, features a gabled hipped bungalow roof (then uncommon) with a chamfered corner.
Nazareth Lutheran Church 1896
This historic church, designed and built by Charles McLay, burnt down in 2000 and all that remained were the brick walls. It was rebuilt to its original design and is still standing today.
Queensland Brewery Company 1899
Located on Brunswick Street, Fortitude Valley, Henry Atkinson designed the gabled additions to the left of the image.
J McWhirter & Son 1903
Pictured is the corner of Warner & Wickham Streets in Brisbane. On the right is Atkinson’s two-storey addition for McWhirters, completed in 1903, and to the left is the much grander five-storey premises designed for McWhirter’s in 1910 by Atkinson & McLay.