St James Cathedral
Restoration of the roof was to combat a severe problem of falling damp that was creating unsightly efflorescent staining and damaging the heritage fabric and the building. The project included a new roof, box gutters and parapet capping the cathedral. The current asbestos based synthetic slate tile were removed and new roofing material, membrane and insulation were installed.
St James Cathedral was completed in two stages in 1897 – 1892 and 1959 – 1960. The roof was severely damaged by Cyclone Leonta in March 1903. Following the cyclone the roof and roof framing were completely rebuilt and redesigned with a steeper pitch and to a height originally intended by Architect Blacket. The roof was sheeted at this time in a new innovative material known as “Asbestos cement tiles”. A ventilator was also constructed at the intersection of the transepts, the location of Blacket’s planned central tower. The second stage of the Cathedral was completed in 1960 using similar materials to the 1903 reconstruction
More Conservation Projects
Back to Home