Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital
The design approach to the public and therapeutic outdoor spaces for the new Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital is derived from the subtropical context and positive influence that landscapes can have on our moods and wellbeing. Located in urban South Brisbane, external spaces have been designed to appeal to all our senses and respond to the needs of patients and their families as well as hospital staff. The design is underpinned by extensive research, with anticipated spaces that will reduce stress and anxiety and afford a place for retreat and contemplation.
Building on the architectural design, the natural environment is expressed in innovative ways:
- a plaza and over scaled grass mound invites exploration;
- ‘green monoliths’ replace trees on roof gardens;
- a sloped grassed roof reduces glare;
- vines disguise security fences;
- epiphyte columns and tropical plants create a ‘Jungle Garden’;
- a secret garden provides views over the city;
- an adventure garden supports events and exercise programs;
- a relaxation garden is provided for staff.
More Landscape Architecture + Urban Design Projects
Back to Home