Brisbane Customs House
Full architectural services were provided for the conservation, refurbishment and adaptive re-use of the 1890’s Customs House for The University of Queensland, which is now owned and operated by The University of Queensland as a cultural, educational and heritage facility.
Much of the original room layout which had been earlier removed was reconstructed. Repairs to the fabric and new services included a facsimile of the original staircase and its daylight lantern above, both of which had been lost to previous refurbishment. The riverfront was cleared of intrusive additions. The ‘long room’ under the dome is well known to many of Brisbane’s citizens as it is now a popular venue for all manner of activities and events, its reactivation resulting in a significant source of income for UQ.
After 17 years of successful operation with the original fitout, the river level Customs House Restaurant was refurbished to bring the bar and reception area up to date and to make the inner dining room more inviting.
RAIA Award 1995
John Herbert Award 1995
More Heritage Projects
Back to Home