Africa Hall Redevelopment
Conrad Gargett was successful in being awarded the contract for the provision of architectural and engineering services Stage 1 & 2 in support of the renovation of Africa Hall, Addis Ababa.
The focus of the project is on conservation and the objectives are to:
To conserve the place
- To repair and conserve the existing original finishes of Africa Hall;
- To upgrade and replace finishes where required to service the building for a further fifty years;
- To retain and repair the building envelope; and
- To remove and reverse intrusive elements which have been added and are not in accordance with original design intent.
To make the building safe
- To make the building safe and equitable for all delegates and visitors;
- To upgrade access and toilets;
- To upgrade fire safety; and
- To upgrade balustrades and hand rails (for physical safety).
To enhance ongoing use
- To upgrade the services and amenities of Africa Hall to enable the ongoing use of the building
- To provide better seating configurations in Africa Hall for African member states delegation.
- To improve conference facilities including interpretation, audio visual, acoustics, communications and mechanical ventilation.
To interpret the place
- To provide safe and secure access for delegates and visitors;
- To provide interpretive materials and experiences for delegates and visitors;
- To understand the place and its role in African History;
- To provide amenities for delegates and visitors; and
- To provide a permanent exhibition.
More Heritage Projects
Back to Home