50 Bolton Street, Newcastle
The David Cohen & Co wholesale warehouse was built in 1901 on Bolton Street, Newcastle, in the Old City Centre. Progressive developments saw the demolition of the majority of the warehouse, conserving only the prominent, heritage listed street façade to screen a multilevel car park structure at the rear. A design competition was initiated to adaptively reuse the development for commercial hotel purposes. A bridging space frame strategy was proposed to traverse the limitations of the existing structure. This enabled an additional two towers to be constructed above. The adaptive reuse proposal included a premium 200 room hotel with roof top restaurants, bars and event spaces.
More Competitions + Ideas Projects
Back to Home